Monday, March 30, 2009

A Life too Crowded, Not Rumi

Although I'm not usually a fan of pop-reading (especially from Oprah's book club), I've been re-reading Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love because sometimes one just needs a break from all his pensive, dour introspection. Something with a happy ending. Or at least something that distracts one from his own messed up life by inviting him into the messed up life of someone else. Eat, Pray, Love offers both.


Well, until page 29, where Ms. Gilbert writes, "[t]he Great Sufi poet and philosopher Rumi once advised his students to write down the three things they most wanted in life."

So casually I drew up my own list in my mind:
1. A healthy relationship with Jesus
2. A healthy relationship with another man
3. Bay windows from which to view my garden

She continues, "[i]f any item on the list clashes with any other item, Rumi warned, you are destined for unhappiness."

As there is clearly not room enough in my life for all three things on this list, I suppose I could: console myself with the popular wisdom that two out of three ain't bad; or accept Rumi's wisdom and resign myself to a lifetime of unhappiness.

F* my life.

4 comments:

  1. nooooooo surely there is another way? life is too short (and too wonderful) to be unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a whole lot of biblically-based fiction and it seems beastiality was totally normal. If Jesus was cool with f'ing a donkey don't you think he was cool with f'ing a guy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What biblically-based fiction features doing f'ing? I don't remember that scene in The Red Tent.

    ReplyDelete